We have designed our CTA Oral Examination Preparation Courses to help you prepare for the final stage of becoming a Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA).
An important part of your oral examination will be your ability to hold your Adult when asked questions about your practice, your personal style and your therapeutic interventions, and to make relationship with your examiners from an I+U+ position.
Your examiners will look for you to present as ethical, competent and knowledgeable within your field of TA. You will have to engage in discussions over a wide range of topics including therapeutic change, redecisions, impasses, models of ego states, diagnosis and treatment planning. And you will need to demonstrate clinical skills and reflective practice at the level required for qualification as a psychotherapist and CTA.
A key aim of this course therefore is to help you improve your existing level of verbal TA fluency so you can confidently navigate examiner enquiries and showcase your clinical skills for qualification.
What does the CTA Oral Examination Preparation Course cover?
The course is set over 8 days over a period of 5 months and includes:
- Understanding the examination process e.g. the function of the chair, the board of examiners, the observer, the process facilitator and the timings of the examination process
- Familiarity with the marking sheets, the scoring procedure and the voting procedures
- Selecting recordings to evidence your clinical skills in effecting change with three client groups
- Approaches to intervention analysis with reference to different TA schools and approaches
- Increasing your fluency when discussing transactions, ego states, diagnosis, ethics, treatment planning and reflective practice
- Showcasing and explanation of diagrams
- Fielding questions on your written exam feedback
- Preparation of your training log
- Answering exam questions to increase your marking score - practice and constructive feedback
- Completion of an entire mock examination process, together with marking, post exam analysis and constructive feedback
What outcomes can I expect?
Working in a small group, you will support each other in meeting the deadlines necessary to complete the different parts of the oral exam. By the end of the course, you will have...
- generated three recordings with appropriate top-sheet and analysis to take to your oral exam
- a thorough understanding of the CTA oral exam process
- an improved fluency in discussing your clinical work according to your identity as a TA psychotherapist
Who should attend?
This course is designed for anyone who has successfully passed their written examination and is ready to complete their final CTA qualification.
It is also for those who wish to have support from EATA Examiners and be part of a collaborative group of peers who are the same stage of their qualification process.
Dates and course length for Autumn 2020:
A six-month programme with eight taught days
2 days: Oct 31 and Nov 1 2020
1 day: Dec 12
1 day: Jan 23 2021
2 days: Feb 13 and 14
2 days: Mar 6 and 7
Dates to be confirmed - please sign up to our mailing list below
Let us know if you have any questions