NEW! An Intensive training option for September/October 2022
If you are wanting to qualify as a supervisor and would prefer to do it as an intensive training option, then this is a fantastic opportunity for you to complete your formal supervisory training in two 5 day blocks in September 2022 followed by an assessment weekend in October 2022.
Developed to reflect BACP and UKCP standards for supervisory training, this course has received glowing ratings from previous participants. It focuses on evidence-based supervisory practice and is co-creative training at its best. Most importantly, it allows you to develop a reflective supervision style within your own theoretical frame, and across other therapeutic approaches, and explore the differences between offering face to face, online and telephone supervision. It also gives you the option of qualifying with a Certificate or Diploma in Clinical Supervision
You will be working in small groups where you bring your existing clinical experience for an enjoyable interactive learning experience, ensuring that you explore every aspect of this dynamic, important and sometimes challenging role.
Aimed at those who feel ready to undertake the next step in their professional development and meet the challenges of a supervisory role, this course is suitable for counsellors, psychotherapists, teachers, mental health workers, medical staff, social workers, consultants, and others in the helping professions.
Who is the course for?
Those with a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience who feel ready to undertake the next step in their own professional development and to meet the challenges of a supervisory role. This course is suitable for counsellors, psychotherapists, teachers, mental health workers, medical staff, social workers, consultants, and others in the helping professions.
How will the course be structured?
You will be working in small groups where you bring your existing experience of clinical situations for an enjoyable and respectful interactive learning experience, ensuring you explore every aspect of this dynamic, important and sometimes challenging role.
We want to you to increase your skills as well as your understanding of supervisory theory and there is focus on the practice of supervision. This focus comes from our wealth of experience of running successful supervisory practices and our understanding of the range of skills needed for this role.
You will be expected to undertake 40 hours of supervision under the guidance of a consultative supervisor as part of the course in order to integrate theory into practice and to practise your supervisory skills. The course will also embrace ‘live’ supervision practice sessions with peer and tutor feedback.
Your training embraces a wide range of theoretical models of supervision, supervisory tasks and values, ethics, codes of professional practice, legal issues, the treat/teach boundary, handling safety and risk, diversity, and equal opportunities. We want you to feel prepared to supervise and assess the competence of those with different levels of professional and therapeutic experience and to facilitate different learning styles and different learning needs.
What does it cover?
- The supervisory relationship and what makes for ‘effective’ supervision.
- Developing a working alliance with supervisees
- Establishing and managing an ongoing supervisory contract.
- Examining different styles of supervision
- Handling Fitness to Practice issues
- An overview of the main developmental models of supervision as a way of understanding the ‘task’ and competencies.
- Raising and discussing issues of importance including ethics, boundaries, diversity, disability, culture, and organisational sensitivities
- Working with unconscious process: transference, countertransference, and parallel process
- Supervisory challenge and the potential for shame
- One-to-one versus group supervision considerations
- Long term versus short term practice
- Safety and assessment of risk
- Creative supervision
- Supporting supervisees through accreditation and qualification.
This training is an excellent preparation for:
- Practitioners who might later wish to move towards meeting BACP criteria for Senior accreditation as a ‘BACP accredited Supervisor’.
- TA practitioners wishing to become a PTSTA post qualification as a Certified Transactional Analyst
Assessment and qualification requirements
Certificate in Clinical Supervision:
- Attendance at all 12 days of formal training.
- I x Micro teach on the supervisory subject of your choice.
- I x Group assessment of a live recording.
- Additional subject specific reading will be required.
Diploma in Clinical Supervision:
In addition to the above you will need to:
- Undertake 40 hours of supervision overseen by 10 hours of consultative supervision, or monthly supervision, whichever is greater.
- Complete a 3000 word Case Study.
You can meet these requirements to suit your own personal timetable, as long as they are completed within a six month period from commencement of the course.
What outcomes can I expect?
At the end of the course you will be able to practice as supervisor in accordance with the level of your qualification you have chosen to take and to work with individuals and groups and across therapeutic and professional fields and approaches. You will have developed a network of peers to support you in your supervisory practice and on successful completion, you will be awarded a Connexus Institute Diploma or Certificate in Clinical Supervision with 120 of hours of CPD, as part of our ‘Ongoing Professional Development’ programme.
This course is bound to be in high demand, so make the most of this excellent opportunity and apply now.
When applying, please indicate whether you are opting for the Certificate or Diploma.
Please note: payment plans are available – contact us for more details.
NOW BOOKING FOR AUTUMN 2022
Dates and course length for Spring / Summer 2022:
12 taught days across two months:
- Monday 5 to Friday 9th September 2022
- Monday 19 to Friday 23rd September
- Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th October
9.30 – 4.30
Sign up for more dates
Sign up for course updates
Let us know if you have any questions
Meet the course leader
Jonathan Lake: MSc TA Psychotherapy, BSc Psychology, CTA, PTSTA, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist, Supervisor and Supervising Transactional Analyst (STA). Jonathan is widely respected as a trainer, tutor and is a highly experienced facilitator of supervision training. He works for several leading educational institutes and corporations, the latter focusing on workplace stress, trauma, and disaster recovery. He works as Facebook’s onsite psychotherapist and supervises at Freedom from Torture. In his private practice in East and North-West London he is particularly interested in couples work, bereavement, and developmental trauma.